2012/04/01 7 Comments
Following the trend of doing things just-for-fun, this is a wrist watch using an AVR microcontroller and 7-segment display!
- Open firmware and hardware design files
- AVR and V-USB based
- Uses SMD 7-segment display – retro look!
- Integrated USB Maxim battery charger
- Shows how to scan-drive 7-segment displays without external components
- Short battery life (less than one week with a 100mAh LiPo battery)
- Tricky to hand solder (if you don’t have an hot air station)
- Makes people thinks you are crazy (I should put this one on “features”…)
- Looks like a small time-bomb, I would not wear it while in an airport
As most of my design, I made this one because I had some 7-segment display laying around and I wanted to build something with those (that’s also why I don’t have a project BOM). Also, I like the idea of having a DIY watch which looks like a lab power supply (it also displays battery level in Volts).